A small request... please

I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.

Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.

I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.

In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.

Thank-you

KEIYH

30 January, 2010

Hmmmm...

That didn't work out like we thought it would.

Emmah went in for the epidural Friday morning. After recovering, they brought her back to the room. So far so good. Emmah was asked if her back still hurt. Yes!

Great...

So here it is Friday night, or do you prefer Saturday morning? Either way it's a long time since the epidural went in. They've mixed the cocktail of meds going in the epidural and so far it might be working? I say might be working with a question mark only because I'm getting mixed signals here. Most of the day, Emmah had been expressing that she's still uncomfortable. It had left all the king's horses and all the king's men scratching their collective hineys and heads. The original concoction wasn't doing the trick. Time for a mixed potion... if you will.

Now this new blend seemed to be working. I say this because when I got back from seeing everyone off I asked her how her pain was. She motioned with her hands by bringing them closer to each other as to indicate that is was less. She even said it was less. I asked her for the infamous number on the 0-10 scale. Drum roll please... 2. That's right a 2. I giddily asked really? She said I think so. Hmmm... what does THAT mean? The only other indication I have is how often she hits her PCA. That number was holding steady until... Until the nurse just asked her like 20 minutes ago how would she rate her pain. 8... What! An 8... Hmmm and hmmm hmmm hmmm...

I don't think that this picture will clear up until morning... that is to say when the sun is up morning.

In other news... her BMAs came back negative. Early on in treatment, we always viewed this a good thing... perhaps an indication of things. See, Neuroblastoma is often found in the marrow/bone... especially in relapse. The fact that it's never been there has always given us a smidgen of extra hope. The reality is (as we've come to learn) that our experience is that it makes no difference in terms of relapsing. We realize that it not being in the marrow means one less place to have to battle and that's about it.

And lastly, but not (Webster's liberties again -->)leastly... the trial isn't being started until Monday. I know, I hear ya groaning too. Reason being something about not having the personal on board over the weekend. So add another huge SIGH of disappointment to the pile. With any luck, by then, maybe, they will figure out a way to get Emmah finally out of pain.

You know... Monday is such a long way away.

KEIYTAP

2 comments:

Mom said...

Never did get that one.....people get sick and need treatment 24/7....and that includes weekends. Hospitals should not be operating with a skeletal staff on weekends and holidays.....illness does not take a holiday, or for that matter a Saturday or Sunday off. Hope they get the right concoction to alliviate her pain.
Luv, Mom

RunnerGirl said...

Snuck in to get a status and ended up reading over a month's worth of posts. Thank you so much for keeping all of us in touch with everything Emmah is going through. I really admire how dedicated you are to traveling this road with her. You keep fighting for what she needs, she relies on you. Prayers for Emmah, for you, and for the whole family.

Janeth