Well... it's true!
You remember back when I wrote about our "farm" plot (about half way down this post) and I mentioned about us going out to plant our crops?
After a couple of failed attempts to contact Dave "the farmer" (once by email and one voice mail left) we decided to make a run out there to see what (if anything at all) had become of our crops.
To be fair to Dave, he does have two "farms"... one in Morris and one (where we had to go) out in Ottawa. Morris being halfway. Ottawa is about an hour drive for us.
When we last spoke with Dave (at the planting) he had said to just drop him a line whenever we wanted to come out and he would meet us. Or we could just come out because he never locks the gate... he said that his neighbor keeps an eye on things... so he just kinda drapes the chain to give the appearance that it's locked. So after two failed attempts to make contact, our curiosity had gotten the best of us.
I suggested that we take a trip sometime over the weekend and see what's what. I also said that I wanted to make it early so as to get back early (before noon) thus leaving me time to work on things here. So it was an early load up (7am) and after a short jaunt to the local donut shop (something to appease the troops) we were on our way.
Side note: It has has now since become this past weekend since I started this post this past weekend and am getting around to finishing it now.
The mornings had been rather foggy (during the previous week) and last Saturday morning... the 12th... was no exception. We made our way out there and pulled into/onto his property and parked in front of the gate. I mentioned to Julie that Dave said that he doesn't lock the gate, just makes look like it's locked. I guess appearances can be deceiving... the gate looked locked because it WAS locked. Julie volunteered to make the trek back to see what (if anything) was to be "harvested". I sat in the truck with the kids and waited.
She made her way back and asked me if I knew where it was. I said it was further back... she said that she went all the way to the end of the path. She then asked if I thought I could find it. I said I pretty sure I can. Not wanting to be left out... everyone decides to take a walk back... through the dew laden grass/weeds... through all the hopping crickets... and through the spider webs. It appeared to me that no one had been there in a while because everything was overgrown... and by everything I mean weeds. I did note that the path that we were walking on had been cut fairly recently, but nothing else.
I eventually made my way back and did indeed find our "plot". I found the lumber that was nailed together to create the plot boundary but it didn't seem to be orientated in the same position as I remember. Then I found the tools that we used still on the ground... the same tools that when we offered to take them back to the barn, Dave said that he'd get them.
As the title suggests, there wasn't much to see in the way of edible produce/crop... unless you make it habit to eat weeds. I did manage to find a few corn stalks (about 4' tall) and found some kind of vine plant with the big yellow flower. I couldn't tell if it was the cantaloupe, the watermelon, or the cucumbers since whatever it was, it wasn't bearing any fruit.
You can see for yourself what we saw...
1 comment:
Well, I'm sure that the spiders had to thrill Jake. Hmmmm, I don't suppose the kids were very heartbroken that there are no veggies to harvest, hence no veggies to eat. Maybe next year!
Luv, Mom
Post a Comment