A small request... please

I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.

Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.

I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.

In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.

Thank-you

KEIYH

17 March, 2007

Beware Of Calm Waters...

What a nice day... just sailing along singin' a song... ahhh... feeling the warmth of the sun on your face, the breeze in your hair... just drifting along. Relaxing image isn't it?

That was kinda how things were up until Friday night into Saturday. The smooth glassy surface started to get a few ripples on it and it didn't take long for it to start getting choppy which quickly gave way to rapids. Who knew we were heading for the falls without any paddles?

Okay I don't want to give a totally hopeless picture here, but things could be better. We're in PICU for at least the night. It would appear that the "engrafting" fever might be more than that... only time will tell. The main culprit is concern over her blood pressure... it was low... like 80's over upper 30's low 40's low. That and her heart rate was in the 160 range. So that started a chain of events. Unrelated was a blood transfusion... I only mention the transfusion since it was something that they wanted to wait 'til it was done before moving on to plan B and or C.

Plan A was to boost her fluid level to see it that would do it... it didn't. Then she got the transfusion (she needed it aside from this event)... that didn't do it.
Plan B eventually became plan C... anyway it was time to move to plan B... dopamine. They started out slow and low and gradually increased to a level they on the 4th floor were no longer able to monitor (hospital policy) she was at 12... don't ask what that means... I'm not going to explain... it's inconsequential. They started her at 8... no change... went to 10... no change, then to 12... still no change and eventually to 14. Anyway, when they reach 10... she needs to be moved to the PICU... it's policy... so when the hit 10 mark and still had to go up, it was time to move. Arrangements were made and so we went.

Once we got in here and got her hooked up to the PICU monitors and such, her blood pressure was too high. Time to wean her off the dopamine a bit... so right away, it was dropped to 12, then quickly 10, then 5 and right now, it's at three and the pressure is still good. At some point tonight/this morning, they will take her off it and see if she can maintain. They also determined here in the PICU that she was a bit dehydrated... even with the TPN... so extra fluids are being given. Hasn't helped with the accelerated HR but, and I'm no doctor, I think the advanced rate is due to the fever... well the fever is player anyway. So here I sit in her room watching her sleep and still battle the fever and what ever else is going on in her battle weary little body. I don't figure on getting too much (if any) sleep.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I long for the comfort of isolation.

KUIYTAP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morning Jeff, I just read your blog and am amazed that the tides could turn so quickly. Let's hope they reverse just as rapidly. You are both in my thoughts and prayers, today and always....the prayers are just at a higher level today.....Love ya, Mom