They were embarking on a Florida or bust trip. A trip to reunite/visit with Emmah's cousin who due to a job transfer recently moved down there (that would be her dad got transferred and not her, the cousin) for a three day Disney extravaganza. So, we got her all packed in their van and said our good-byes and stood in the cold alley sending them off as they left around 8pm Friday night... destination of Chattanooga as a stopping point. Which caused me to ponder for a moment... how many people driving from Chicago to Florida stop there as the half way point? Countless I imagine, I know I have.
Alas... Chattanooga was going to have to wait as the bust in "Florida or bust" was being felt... and by bust I don't mean there was a raid on their van. Ladies and gentleman, I give you New Albany, IN... just outside of Louisville. One of the four newly (proactively) purchased tires decided it didn't want to... um... roll anymore and went like my backside... flat. And at a very inconvenient time... while they were driving. The nerve! 2am is not exactly a time that comes to mind if someone were to ask, "So Jeff, if you could pick a time to get a flat, what would be your ideal time?" And in that same vein 22 degrees isn't the ideal t-t-t-temperature t-t-to be w-w-working out-s-s-side (and I sh-sh-sh-should know) and in the dark no less. So a call was put in to 911 to get some roadside assistance.
How do I know all this? We were calling every few hours or so to check in on them as they drove on through the night... as they did to/for us as we were embarking on our Make-A-Wish trip last year. Not that we can (at 3am) do anything about it, but we're going to wait up until they are (yawn... hopefully soon) safely tucked in somewhere before we tuck ourselves in.

No comments:
Post a Comment