Picture if you will a house... a house that was built in 1889. A house that was built with the finest construction ingredients of its day. Plaster walls, hardwood floors, limestone foundation... clapboard siding. Not just any house built in 1889 mind you, but the one that rested at 621 Western.
Ahhhh...
That's right... 621, that's what the number used to be that hung over the door. I'm thinking that they changed it to 605 to remove any bad juju... it's not working.
So... 4:30 in the AM... I wake up to some thunder and lightening, oh and rain too. I figure... well, now that I'm awake, I may as well hop on the old computer to check the radar and see how much rain we were in for I mean at that time, it didn't seem like it was coming down too heavy... but first a trip to the turlet.
Okay, let's have a look see... Boy... that's a lot of dark green out there... and some yellow and orange and red. Man... that's a lot of rain headed this way... nothing I can do about it and I'm certainly not going to be getting up now with only being 4:45am and all. Close the lid on the computer and settle back in to cop a couple more hours of some zzzz's.
One bright lightening flash and (nearly simultaneous) sonic boom later and it's lights out... as in no power.
Fast forward to a little before 7am and still no power. Need to get the kids up soon as they all have a date with the dentist. Julie goes off to work a couple of hours and calls me to ask if I've been in the basement yet.
I have not.
I think you can see where this was headed with the title. I open the door to the basement (and it's dark down there... still without power) but I can see that the cat carrier that is down there has floated over to the bottom of the stairs. This also meant that the cat boxes and plastic totes were either floating too, or had capsized and taken on water... so much for plastic totes.
DAMN!
Okay kids let's finish up and make sure that we're ready by 9:30... that's when Julie was coming home to pick us up.
Power comes back on at 9:00... so it's been out for like 4 hours. Now I have light and can make my way down to assess the mess/fallout of that charming limestone basement turned marina with all the floating things. So 5" of rain and no power for 4 hours can make an awful mess. In all the years that we've lived here and the multiple times that the basement has flooded, this is the most water we've taken on.
So signing off now (after letting the pump do it's thing for a while) to go down and clean up the marina... I mean basement.
Where's my snorkel?
KEIYH
At times unwanted, but often are we uncomfortably thrust into living with it. To borrow part of a line from the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "You adapt, you overcome"...
In memory of Emmah ~ KEIYH
A small request... please
I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.
Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.
I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.
In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.
Thank-you
KEIYH
KEIYH
03 August, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Time to get a battery operated generator to run that pump during the outages. :)
Post a Comment