So on the eve of the eve of Christmas here is the 100th posting on this the main page here... I know... big deal. But in a way it is... isn't it? I realize that if one does the math and adds the archive totals for 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008... it adds to 96. BUT, where I go to monitor things here, it is telling me that this post is the 100th... so I'm going to go with that... #100 it is!
Anyway, like I was saying... it is Christmas Eve Eve. We've had a decent amount of snow fall today, I don't know what the total was, but things had to be shoveled multiple times, and for me that translates to a decent amount. They're calling for 40 on Friday and 52 on Sunday... this on the heels of hovering around zero/sub-zero temps not but a day ago. With the amount of snow on the ground thus far this winter, we are all but assured a white Christmas... always an added nicety.
For the first time for as far back as I can remember (and lately that spans about a day) I will not be getting together with my mom's side of the family. Growing up it was always my mom's side on the Eve and my dad's side on the Day. For whatever reason, things didn't work out this year. Does this mean a change in tradition? Who can say? Only time will tell. While saddened... cuz the running joke on my mom's side of the family was always the only time we see each other is Christmas and funerals... this actually works to our advantage.
(Crap, I hope this doesn't mean only funerals now)
Traditions die off as new ones get implemented. It can be tough to witness and be part of the changing of the guard as the older generation ages, but at the same time, the younger generation is moving up the ladder as they tend to the youngest generation. Getting six kids out the door on the best of days (never mind the cold, the snow, the packages) in a quasi reasonable and timely fashion... which incidentally for us that can be up to 30 minutes late... getting all that to happen at once truly IS the Christmas miracle!
For the first time in my adult life (some might argue that I haven't attained the title of 'adult') I will be staying home for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Don't feel sad, it's not like I will be alone or anything. I will have my family... all seven of 'em (don't freak, that includes Julie) will be here. Even then, we will not be alone on the Day as we will be having the grandmas over along with one auntie representing from one side and one uncle representing from the other... so for us, it will be an even fuller house. The only remaining hurdle... aside from the cleaning and yelling and the yelling and the cleaning... is the tree. Only in our house... hard as this might be for some to believe (or maybe not) the tree is still sitting outside... under glass... or in this case plastic. I draped some plastic over it too keep the snow and freezing rain off it.
Will it get in in time? If it does, will it get a proper decorating?
Stay tuned...
At times unwanted, but often are we uncomfortably thrust into living with it. To borrow part of a line from the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "You adapt, you overcome"...
In memory of Emmah ~ KEIYH
A small request... please
I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.
Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.
I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.
In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.
Thank-you
KEIYH
KEIYH
23 December, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hahaha, Christmas and funerals sound about right... haven't seen you guys since christmas 07! :P
Post a Comment