A small request... please

I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.

Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.

I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.

In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.

Thank-you

KEIYH

13 December, 2008

Dashing through the wind...

Through the mud and snow,
Over ruts and grass,
Be careful don't stub your...
toe (on the stumps)

Where are all the trees?
Why way over there?
C'mon everybody...
feel the wind everywhere!

Oh Christmas tree, Christmas tree, it's time to bring one home. Never mind feeling the wind right down to your bones.

So, today was the day that we finally got out and got our tree... albeit two plus weeks after we normally do... and not the "regular" place in Wisconsin either. We normally go the Friday right after Thanksgiving, but (one of) the reasons we didn't go was that Emmah was going to Florida. Another factor in our decision was the price of gas. We had decided early on while the gas prices were up that driving "up to Wisconsin" wasn't exactly in the budget. So the generous people who normally lend us their cabin up there lent it to someone else when they got wind that we weren't going to be making the trek this year. Then gas prices dropped... who knew? No matter though...

So after some deliberation and procrastination we opted for a place out in Ottawa. We also were going to take advantage of the "warm" 40 degree weather that was riding in on those south winds too. Knowing that it was going to be above freezing, I suggested that everyone "boot up" since any and all dirt was going to be mud... it was, but there was enough snow left out there that we really didn't have to step in any. So we arrive and I ask the kid working there to point us in the direction of the Frasier firs. He points to (and no exaggeration on this either) to a corner that (especially with the wind) seems like miles away. The reality of it was that it was in fact the furthest we could be from where we were standing and still be on the tree farm.

So we trek out there... all eight of us clomping and stomping and cursing that "warm south wind" that was blasting us in the face. In spite of my warnings at home that it was going to be windy, some people under dressed and were chilly. I must admit that even with what I had on, and I was layered up right, the wind was still cutting through all layers. It only took a few minutes for me to acclimate and warm up... not everyone was so lucky.

We typically look for something in the 10' neighborhood since the family room ceiling can accommodate it, but we knew going in that the trees here weren't going to be that tall. They did say that they had some that were 8'... if they did, they were well hidden. Anyhow, we trudge all the way out there only to find a smattering of trees... most of them not even taller than me. It looked like someone tilled the land and just tossed some pine cones and hoped for the best.

So after some quick looking and glancing, we find contestant #1. I then asked Julie... "how much are the trees here?" She wasn't sure. So I recommend that instead of us cutting this down and dragging it back up front only to find out that the tree was going to be something like 75 bucks let's find out first. Julie suggested that I go on ahead and check and she will bring up the rear with the wind blown children and get them back in the truck... and then Julie and I will plod on back out and cut the tree leaving Emmah to babysit.

One advantage naturally with trudging to a point with the wind in your face is that the return trip means that it's at your back. This is more like it! So on my way back, I spot a potential contestant #2. So I stop and decide to wait for everyone to make their way to where I was so I could ask for their opinion/approval.

So I'm standing there...
and standing there...
and standing there...
and standing there wondering what the heck happened to my family. So I trudged back only to find them doing a photo shoot in this little alcove of downed trees... the downed trees making a great natural wind block. Never mind that I'm standing there feeling like a mainsail catching all this wind while they're squirreled away in a cozy little wind block saying "cheese". We (all) eventually make our way to contestant #2 and make note of it mentally comparing it to #1.

So we to get back up front and make our way into the barn to inquire as to what methods they accepted as payment... that and right about the time we were looking at #2 Lyndsey announced, "I gotta go pee." At this time I would also like to mention that they also had pre-cut trees here (right at the front I might add) but we blew right by them making our way to the furthest corner. See we like the feeling of the "hunt"... and all the suffering that goes into a tree expedition. Nothing sez happy tree cutting more than hearing a chorus of "I'm cold", "I'm hungry", "My legs are getting tired", "I gotta pee", "Where are we eating", "Can we hurry up"... and so on.

It was noted that while inside the barn, they had prices listed on the wall. Hmmm... maybe we should've stopped in first before heading out into the "back forty". The u-cut were indeed $75... the pre-cut were only $45. So it ended up being like this... we could've paid 75 for a short sparse tree, or 45 for a nice (and tall... over 10') tree... from Michigan. It was an interesting experience made worse by the biting wind. I believe we did find a nice tree and at a better price than what we would've paid in Wisconsin. It (nicely) filled a need for us, but I don't know that we will be returning here next year for our tree... then again, one never knows.

Now to make room for it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, sounds like a good time was had by all. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like....fun. LOL. Time to go artificial....the kids love helping put it together and you get good deals after Christmas on display models that come with all the trimmings. Makes life a bit easier. :-D