A small request... please

I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.

Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.

I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.

In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.

Thank-you

KEIYH

24 June, 2010

Slipping to the equator

The Chicagoland area is the new equator complete with torrential tropical downpours everyday now.

So there's yesterday... I know there's always a yesterday, but this particular yesterday was yesterday! With it came yet more rain in the morning... the radar image looking all green infused with all that yellow and red... so colorful. Then that passed and we had sun... and one of the "benefits" of summer in in this area... sun and "steam"... that feeling like when you walk out your door you're walking right into a sauna.

Then as the day wore on and early evening approached, so did some more clouds and those clouds were yet again making the radar look all pretty like with the reds and yellows. With the approaching storm moving rather quickly our way, I decided that I better get the grill going and beat the rain. Julie was going out to dinner so it was me and the kids. Julie left and no sooner did she leave, the power went out. I suppose it was in anticipation of the approaching storm as the wind, the darkness and the rain were still off to the west and it was merely cloudy overhead.

I hear rumbling... and it's not my tummy, so lemme reach over here and turn up the heat a little. Cook damn you! SIZZLE went the food! Drip... drip... No, that's not my kids pointing to me saying drip, it's the start of the rain. Luckily my master plan of turning up the heat on the food worked and it was done. I turned the grill off and made a hasty retreat into the darkness and humidness that was now inside. I needed to find a candle or two. I had a thought run through my head as I lit them... I'm adding to the heat inside by having an open flame, or flames. Well at least it was a dry heat.

An aside here... when the power went out, there was much "woo hooing" by the kids. That "woo hoo" waned as time passed and we were still in the dark and without any kind of air processing equipment. Then it became, "when's the power coming back on?"

The power did come back on a little after 8pm... to much cheering and rejoicing. That elation faded when I told the boys to take care of the cat boxes in the basement. They went down and came back up saying the basement has water.

ARGG!

I went down and sure enough we had some very minor flooding. Once the power came back, it took the pump only 15 minutes to pump the floor "dry".

But wait... what's with all these flying bugs around the light fixture and where the hell did they come from?

Seems along with the "beauty" of having a limestone foundation, there comes a certain porosity that is part and parcel. It's this inherent porosity that allowed an ant colony to escape their colony and seek drier ground. HA! Joke's on them, I had water in my basement!

Anyway, the swarm of bugs flying around the light fixture were indeed winged ants... and to the right of me, covering the wall that faces the front of the house, were the wingless brethren.

Sorry, no pictures...

After about an hour of combat (and some mopping) said ants are resting comfortably inside my shop vac. Time to finish the rest of the small clean up. "Oh boys!"

KEIYH


No comments: