At times unwanted, but often are we uncomfortably thrust into living with it. To borrow part of a line from the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "You adapt, you overcome"...
In memory of Emmah ~ KEIYH
A small request... please
I have a small request and it won't take up much of your time.
Now that Emmah's spirit has left her physical body behind and has completed it's journey "home" I would very much like if you could all take a moment and reflect on Emmah... whether you knew her personally or not. Let us know how she touched/affected or made a difference in your life.
I especially would like to hear from those of you who know/knew her, what your fondest memory or memories of her are. Funny stories and what you remember her likes and dislikes to be (no matter what they are) and what word/words you would use to describe her.
In order to keep all of those thoughts in one place, please, please use this link only for this purpose only.
Thank-you
KEIYH
KEIYH
08 February, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
32 comments:
I'm looking at some adorable pictures right now of the Baby Emmah! You three (only THREE, at the time!) had come to Effingham and then over to the farm in Newton for a visit. What a wonderful day of laughter, just hanging out, visiting with Mom and Dad Bennett and playing with some kittens. Peace and Love, Sah
Emmah Emmah Emmah -
Always looking out for your siblings! I remember one day Dad was over here working and you and Nicholas were sitting on the couch. I could not believe how good the two of you were - it was easy for me to make you laugh. That infectious loud giggle so different from the others. I would look at Nicholas and he would shyly look away. You then spoke up for him, "Nicholas is shy. Can he have more potato chips?" I knew it was YOU who wanted more chips! I gave you both the bag and some more pop. You both sat on the couch eating chips and Emmah - you did ALL the talking. Even then you were a strong, mature, sweet girl. At our Breakfast with Santa, I remember you coming up to me and whispering, that Santa didn't bring a toy for Jake. Emmah you wanted everything to be fair and you were always looking out for everyone else! Sweet, Sweet, Emmah. Much Love - Dana and Marty
I remember at one of our Christmas performances at school, your class was performing and you must have been in 3rd or 4th grade. Your class was getting ready to sing, and you were in the front row. Just before the song began, the boy next to you was out of his place in line, so as you began to sing, you carefully pulled the boy to his place-by his shirt! It was really cute, everyone let out a little giggle. You must be use to keeping everyone in line, having all those brothers and sisters!
Lots of love! Angie
Through the years, it has been easy to love Emmah! I have watched her grow from a silly little girl with a look in her eye like you were wondering what she was up to...to a couragous young lady who puts up a fight like noone else I've ever known. The things I will remember about Emmah are: her beautiful smile, her love for her brothers and sisters, her hugs, her love for life and longing to live it!
I love you Emmah Gudeman! You have touched my heart in a way that noone ever will again. xoxoxo
I remember when you came to visit me in Texas, you were just a baby. But you were definitely quite the ham -- always posing for pictures and turning so you were full-on facing the camera! I see you're still posing (love the glasses!). Love you much! Cathy
I do not know you, but went to the link on my Facebook page posted by a mutual friend. My heart goes out to your sweet daughter and her family. My prayers include each of you.
We met Emmah when she was just a few months old in her little carrier. We even remember having dinner with Julie in Chicago when she was having a little morning sickness and told us of her joy in being pregnant with Emmah. Over the years we have learned more about Emmah's brave spirit and kind heart through conversations with Julie and Jeff and other friends. We have followed her courageous fight these past years and kept her in our thoughts and prayers. Please know that you are in our hearts now and always.
Love,
Anish and Leslie
My family and I met Emmah once at her home, and she and her remarkable family made such an impression on us that will last forever. I will never forget the love and tenderness I saw them give one another. I remember Emmah's beautiful and contagious smile. We all were impressed with this lovely young lady. And all of us, were very glad to have met her and her family, It was a time in December when we had the privilege to meet Emmah and her remarkable family.
Love and Prayers Always,
The Oshiro Family
I met Emmah when I volunteered to be a chaparone for the All City trip to Virginia last year. I knew Emmah in passing through my daughter Kayla and always knew she had a smile on her face. Kayla told me that Emmah was like the "mother hen" of the percussion section. I could not get over the dedication in this little girl. That despite the fact that she was battling her own demons, she was not going to disappoint her classmates and not attend this trip. Her whole family accompanied her throughout the trip. This I admired in the family. Their dedication in seeing their child fulfill her desire to be on this trip. Emmah was so sweet and so kind. Always smiling! That I will not forget. She was so strong. I know that Kayla will miss her tremendously and I do not look forward to having to tell her this news. My heart and prayers are extended to her parents and siblings. I enjoyed meeting Emmah and hope one say to meet her again.
Mechelle Jordan
Kayla Moran's mother
We did not see Emmah often, but when we did she always had smile on! Take care sweet thing.
My first of many memories of Emmah was on the first day of 6th grade, "Barbara," she said,"it's Emmah with an H". and then there was a little 6th grader belting out "Battle Hymn" in our play MLK, and then her wonderful rendition of "Sailing Away" in last year's play. My dear Emmah- you are sailing....Barbara
Emmah... So much to say about that little angel. I remember her coming in to the classroom on the first day in 3rd grade. Her smile would light a room, her being so capable and strong even then. I loved talking with her, it was like talking to an adult. She had such a good attitude and sense of humor. I also remember her in the 5th grade talent show. She sang " Son of Man" from the Tarzan soundtrack. Emmah sang wonderfully and touched so many hearts that day. To this day I call it "Emmah's song". Peace to you Emmah, and you will always be in my heart. To all the Gudemans, my prayers to you.
Emmah. Dear, beautiful, wonderful, smart, caring...Emmah.
I remember the first time I saw her. She was in Barb's homeroom, a small 6th grader with the biggest grin on her face. We were introduced by Mrs. Jelinek. She told me to "take Emmah under my wing." I did so...gladly. When she looked at me, the first time, I knew we would be friends. And, oh boy, we were BEST friends.
And then, a few months later (we had become quite close) I was upset about this boy who was making fun of me in class. I complained to Emmah, and it took me a moment before I saw the look on her face - lips set in a smirk, eyes shining, one eyebrow raised higher than the other. She interrupted my grumbling. "Autumn," she said, "have you not yet realized how STUPID boys can be?" It made my entire day, and I completely forgot how upset I was.
This isn't fair - I have millions of these memories, enough to fill a very long book - and I only have this comment box. I'm sure I'll be back here with another wonderful memory soon, but for now, I shall take that moment of silence to reflect.
I love you, Emmah. Always will. You lived your life with vibrant colors and loved as deep as the ocean. I know I'll see you soon. I still feel the warmth of that smile... :) I don't think I'll ever be cold again.
Emmah will always hold a very special place in my heart. As her third grade academics and homeroom teacher I watched her grow into a beautiful young lady. I enjoyed talking with Emmah each day, because as all teachers know, you just sometimes need to converse during the day with an adult, or someone who can" think and react" like an adult. That was Emmah! She was smart and had a keen sense of humor! An especially good memory I have is Emmah's performance in the 5th grade talent show. There she was on stage singing her heart out! It so saddens me to think Emmah is no longer here with us, bur know that in her short life she touched many people; her friends, family and teachers. I know she will continue to touch my life, and will always remain in my thoughts and prayers.
I never had the honor of personally knowing Emmah. It was through emails frequently sent out to all our high school friends that I came to know of Emmah's cancer. My daughter Kendyl & I have followed Emmah's battle and for a while there Kendyl and Emmah emailed eachother a bit. My heart is so filled with sorrow right now as I can only imagine what Jeff & Julie are going through. I hope in time their hearts can slowly heal. Just from the photos I have seen of Emmah, I can tell she had a beautiful soul, I only wish I could have met her.
I met Emmah at Forest Park, she was my daughter's school mate. My daughter would always come home and talk about her friend Emmah. I remember her as always smiling saying "Hi" to her friends no matter where she was. I admire this little girl for her courageous battle. I remember she had to leave school because of her chemo, the whole class was very sad. But she made sure she came back for that year's Christmas program. It was great seeing her there that day, I remember the kids being super excited. She will be greatly missed. God Bless the Gudeman family during this time.
Delia L. Martinez
Alexis Martinez Mom
I had the great privilege of being Emmahs Make A Wish granter when her cancer was in remission. I was so impressed that her wish was to relive a family camping vacation and she used the words, "I love looking at the stars" and thought how wonderful to have this young girl appreciate nature so. Like many of you wrote, Emmah had a beautiful smile, she struck me as mature beyond her years and very intelligent. She has left a mark on my heart that I will always carry with me. Debbie Karlsson
Her smile : No matter how sick she was or what she had gone through whenever we saw her she always had a smile. Loving: The way she loves her family and her brothers and sisters you could tell it gave her strength. Courage: She had to have a lot of it to go through all that she did. You can see the courage in the faces of her parents and her brothers and sisters especially. We love her and all of you so very much and know she touched a lot of lives. She was our miracle.
One afternoon, when Emmah might have been 5 or 6, I met up with some high school girlfriends for their play-date at Carol Skoczylas’s house. I was the odd man out – no kids myself, but I have to see my friends whenever it works. As the kids were getting ready to eat lunch, the Mom’s were busy cutting sandwiches, and I was helping Emmah get her lunch ready. We were at the counter, and Emmah was making small talk with me, “Do you have any kids?” No. “Are you married?” No. “Do you have any pets?” No. Lest she thought she was making me feel bad, she wrapped it up with, “well, you’re very good at cutting hot dogs.” I was laughing so hard – I can honestly say I’ve never been appreciated for my hot dog cutting skills since! May your fond memories help you through this very difficult time.
Regards, Sheryl Zymali
I will always remember what a bright kid Emmah was. I was amazed at her vocabulary and ability to converse in such an adult way even at the tender age of 4 or 5. I have a lovely picture of her when she was about this age and had come over to play with the boys in the sandbox. She is crouched down in the sand, with a bucket and shovel looking up with that beautiful, thousand watt smile, so full of happiness and innocence. I also remember she had a fantastic set of pipes when a bug or a bee was near--could hear that scream for blocks!! She was such a special, caring little person and we will so miss seeing her beautiful smile. We will remember her always.
Miss Chris and the Kollross Family
I met Emmah through her Uncle Brian at Nicholas's second birthday party - she was wearing a tee-shirt with Snoopy and his little bird friend on it. I asked her, who's that on your shirt? And she said "Snoopy!" but when I asked her the little bird's name, she was stumped. I said, "Is it Woodstock?" and her face revealed total awe when she said to Brian "She knows his name!!!" and we were instant friends for the rest of that visit. I'll never forget that sweet little girl.
I didn’t think I would ever get to meet Emmah. From the moment I started teaching in Joliet, she was on my roster of students as a 5th grader, but it was indicated to me that she was unlikely to return to school. At the end of my first year, Mrs. Gudeman called me to say that Emmah would be attending Hufford for 6th grade. Mom’s main concern was getting Emmah up to speed after missing a year of band. I didn’t know what to expect from a student who had been fighting cancer.
I introduced myself to Emmah on her first day of 6thgrade, then introduced her to Autumn, a 7th grader. Those two girls stuck by each others’ sides for the next two years!
Emmah worked very hard to catch up and learn what she needed to learn. She stayed after school with me at least once a week. She worked SO HARD and never complained. She always had a smile on her face, even though I’m sure she was frustrated with me and the challenges I gave her.
During her first parade, Emmah and Mom were nervous about the uniform, the heat, the distance. Mom walked along with us. Emmah did great. She crashed those cymbals right on cue!
Over the next year, I grew to love Emmah. She took right after Autumn and the two of them took care of the boys in the percussion section. Emmah would pick up the slack when the boys quit early. She picked up after them and made sure they had the right equipment. She was turning out to be one of my strongest students, both in leadership and talent.
I loved watching Emmah interact with her brothers and sisters, especially Lyndsey and Ana. They would get into something in the band room that they shouldn’t, and Emmah would take care of it. It was clear that Emmah loved her siblings. She loved being the big sis.
In the middle of 7th grade, Emmah was supposed to stay after school with me to work on some music. After class, it was like she simply disappeared. The next day, I heard that she was in the hospital. When I finally got a chance to ask her what happened that day, she said that she had been playing bass drum and had pain in her abdomen. The cancer was back.
It was hard to tell the percussionists that Emmah was sick. She was the Mother Hen of the section. Even the 6th graders that had only known her since September were visibly upset.
Emmah was able to go on the All City trip to Williamsburg. Although she was well enough to travel, I wouldn’t say she was well. Of course, there’s the neuroblastoma, but we couldn’t see that. We could definitely see the hives all over her face and arms. While she was clearly uncomfortable from the hives and the heat, she didn’t let it bother her and she had a great trip. It was great to see her back in her uniform. She was surrounded by her friends again, and they were all happy to be back together. Us directors had never been so happy to hear a cymbal crash in our lives.
Then came 8th grade, and the word was that Emmah wasn’t doing well. She was at school for a very short amount of time, then gone. Gone from my sectionals, gone from my classroom. I saw her just a handful of times after September. And with all of the crap her body and mind were taking, that little 13 year old girl was still smiling and giggling.
One day after class, I asked Emmah’s brother Nick how she was doing. “O...K...” he said, with a big smirk on his face. I asked, confused about the grin, “Is she still in the hospital?” “No,” he replied, “she’s right behind you!” She had come in the band room to pick up Nick. She had been quite stealthy and just snuck up behind me with that big smile that we all came to expect. That was the last time I saw that smile.
My heart has been aching more and more over the last month. So many tears have been shed. During the short time that we got to have her here on Earth, Emmah brought laughter, fun, and smiles. It just doesn’t make any sense and it’s not fair.
I’m so thankful that God allowed me to meet Emmah. I really would have missed out.
Mrs. Jelinek
One of my favorite memories of you was at my wedding. You and I danced several dances together. You were laughing and smiling and we had so much fun!!
I only met Emmah one time...almost 10 years ago...she was only about 4 years old. Steve and I were visiting in Illinois and stopped by to say Hi. Jeff, Emmah, and Nick were home. She was a very cute little girl. She took my hand and wanted to show me her room. She was very excited to show me her toys; she even took me on a tour of the house. I remember her pretty blonde hair and her beautiful smile. Emmah was a very happy little girl.
Love to you all, Debbie
Emmah, We are so glad that we got to be your friend. You always made Girl Scouts fun. We will miss you but, we are glad you are not sick or in pain anymore. Friends Forever, Alexis and Michelle Conley
Emmah, Besides your beautiful smile, contagious laugh and silly sense of humor the thing I will remember most was the way you took care of your brothers and sisters. It was always fun when they came to the meetings and you were just like a little mommy to them. I would have been so proud to have you as a daughter and I am thankful that you were in my life. My life is better for having known you. You will always be my Cookie Queen : ) Love you much.
Always with a smile on her face and a positive attitude. She will be missed by her Camp Quality Illinois Family. I'm so glad that I got to know Emmah, even if for just the two short weeks of Camp Quality. Jeff, Julie & Family...thank you for allowing her to become a part of our family too! Our thoughts are with you.
Mary Clinnin
Director
Camp Quality Illinois
I knew Emmah at the Joliet Public Library. . . particularly in 2007 and our PNG program. She was such a joy to work with and have around.
Peace from Leisl (and my little angel Sam)
It has been difficult for me to find the words to say...
In the mist of all the tears, I have remembered what an inspiration Emmah has been to me- though I was her teacher, I have come to realize that Emmah was in fact my teacher and I her student. Her bravery and grace has given me so much strength and I know it was no accident that our paths crossed on this journey…
Shalom,
Mrs. Campbell
When I first met Emmah, I was in kindergarten. She came up to us with a great big smile and introduced herself. We were in Daisy Girlscouts so of course we became friends. At that time I didnt realize how much she would touch my heart. Emmah was a remarkable person who could always make you smile. I will never forget her. --Lilly Cleary
I'd like to say it has been a privlige and an honor to have been "Gramma" to Emmah.
Already I miss you. I will carry your smile in my memory.
Fly free my beautiful girl, you will live in my heart forever.
Luv, Gramma
When I think of Emmah I remember her smile, not just a smile but a great big one! Last time I saw her in Delavan she had a baseball cap on to cover her lack of hair, and she was in a lot of pain, and yet, that beautiful smile was still there. For all she went through, her smile spoke volumes of the love she received from family and those she was close to. All of which kept her dynamic personality going strong!
Love, Dona and Bud
Post a Comment